Saturday 24 January 2015

President / CEO Talks

There is a lot of talk lately in regards to Paul Beeston’s successor. Most notably the talks between the Jays and the Orioles’ Dan Duquette have been stirring controversy and now MLB’s top dogs are getting involved. MLB is pushing both sides not to drag the matter out and either shit or get off the can. The Orioles, among other things, are looking to get promising right-hander Jeff Hoffman, the ninth overall pick in last summer’s draft. I personally don’t know too much about the kid but the Jays seem to have a lot invested in him and that is enough for me to think that this is a bad deal.
Maybe I’m underestimating the effect that a President / CEO has on the performance of a team on the field but I don’t see how it compares to good young pitcher coming up through the system. That is a tangible thing that anyone can see the results of. A great president doesn’t put up Ks, and the top CEOs in the game still don’t drive in runs.
All that being said, this is just what the Orioles are asking for and so far I have no reason to believe the Jays are entertaining the idea. I just pray that they aren’t. President / CEO of a big league team is a pretty sweet job and I’m sure there is long list of people who would love the job, and be good at it, without it costing what they believe to be great young arm.
As of the latest report that I’ve read Beeston will remain in charge for the 2015 season and beyond that it’s just “we’ll see”. Something resulting from this that actually affects the field is that it looks like Anthopoulos’ job is safe for another season. That’s not to say I ever thought it was really in question at least in the short term but people love to talk. Personally I don’t see Beeston canning him while he himself is on the way out but you never know.
Does AA deserve to be fired? In my humble opinion I’m not ready to pull the trigger yet but that’s a topic for another day.
Shi Davidi wrote an article earlier this week about the talks with Baltimore you can check out here:

As always feel free to rant down in the comments below and until next time…


1 comment:

  1. I see the Jays got my email.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-baltimore-orioles-dan-duquette-paul-beeston-jeff-hoffman/

    ReplyDelete